6.11.2010

And the Winner Is...

My last semester at William and Mary I decided to take an entrepreneurship class. I have had a business idea and thought this would be a great opportunity to learn how to start a business. And see if this idea had any potential. Well the class was phenomenal, and I was able to interact with Executive Partners and experienced businessmen. I had a great mentor and teacher. I entered a business competition where MBAs and BBAs could participate. I submitted an Executive Summary, and made it to the Elevator Pitch round. That went well and I had fun pitching my idea to 3 men! And then I made it to the very last round in which 3 judges were brought in to hear us present our business plan. After presenting our plan we had 10 minutes to take questions and defend our plan. After answering 2 questions, I spent the rest of the time listening to suggestions. i thought this was a good sign but i wasn't sure ...

Riley and Elisabeth, my niece, came to model for me!




My business OhSnap! is all about fashion accessories. I can't divulge to much info ... I am working on a Trademark and patent.


.... there was an award ceremony the evening of the presentations. Rob surprised me, and came down from D.C., and went to the reception with Riley and myself. Then it was time for the award ceremony. My teacher had positioned his chair so that he was facing me (which was strange with where he was sitting so I was a little curious). They announced the 1st place first. Before announcing the winner they spoke about the person and their presentation ... when they said this person had great financials I knew I hadn't won.
But low and behold ... I WON!
I was and am still stoked. I received $1000, that I am putting towards starting the company.
Here's an article the school did featuring the competition, look here.

9 comments:

Kandyce said...

We are so proud of you. I have loved collaborating ideas and I am always keeping my eye out for more to send your way!!! :):):) I wish I could be there to help you get it off the ground. Let me know what we can do.

Butler Family said...

Oh my gosh Miranda!!! We are so PROUD of you!!!! What an amazing accomplishment that is!! I LOVE the idea of it all and would even start buying things from you in the near future!! And the company name is awesome!!! Wow reading this just makes me even more proud of you and even prouder (if that is a word) to be your cousin!! What an amazing woman you are:)

Laura said...

OhSnap! is right! You're awesome girl! I can't wait to see the progress and help contribute to your success! :) Congrats!

heather and ronnie said...

Congrats Miranda! This is awesome! Can't wait to see the product :)

Martinez Family said...

CONGRATS:) Although I dont have girls , not only would I wear them myself but I would also buy them for gifts:) Great job - the Lord watches after us , its amazing!:) Cant wait to see more products to come!

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

That is super great Miranda! Congrats on all your hard work! And I love the name... Its a great way to get attention :)

BreAnne said...

That is so awesome congrats! They look really cute!

Ryan and Steph Dudley said...

Agreed on all the above comments! You are incredibly talented Miranda - you need to keep us posted on how it's going!

Natalie Hansen said...

This is so late in coming, but wow! Congratulations! That's awesome! Of course you would win, you're amazing!